Recipe courtesy of “The Greek Gourmet” Arthur Nahatis
(Serves 4 as a salad course)
With the whole country celebrating summertime, our menus seem to “lighten up” or simplify, compared to the other times of the year. This refreshing summertime treat can be enjoyed throughout the year as a salad course or as a main course luncheon. The quality of the bacon is the main determining factor of this salad so be sure to buy the best that’s available. It really makes a difference!
- 12 oz bag of “washed and rinsed” spinach (baby spinach is my preference)
- 4-5 slices crumbled, cooked “thick cut” apple wood smoked bacon (North Country Smokehouse brand is my favorite)
- ½ cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 radishes thinly sliced
- ¼ small red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 sliced hard boiled egg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Buy a good quality Poppy seed dressing,
- Use approx. 1/3 cup and then add
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/8-cup olive oil
Mix all ingredients until blended well. Pour dressing over all ingredients and toss well. “Dust” with fresh ground pepper Serve immediately as spinach will begin to wilt right away.
Popeye would have loved this creation (could it be the Olive oil?) and you and your families will too! A crisp white wine and some good hard bread complete this cooling treat.